Monday, September 29, 2014

Insects

This little guy was hanging out outside of my bathroom window as I was getting ready this morning.  It reminded me of the insect project that I did in elementary school.  The dreaded insect project.  We would find bugs, freeze them, and then put them onto a Styrofoam board with a pin and label them in a certain way.  It was another project for the parents. 

 


 
So what could we do instead? 

 The first thing that I think of is that this project could have been done in class.  We could use this as a great time to go outside together and explore!  Ms. Bonnie would be proud!  Rather than killing the bugs and putting them on display, we could identify them and watch them in their natural environment.  We could go back to the classroom and chart our favorites and discuss why.  

This site has all kinds of neat bug art projects to do along with an insect lesson.  There are lots of cute insect clothespins that could be created, too, to help display their art.  

1 comment:

  1. Eww - you had to freeze insects? That's so sad to me. I think I'll stick to pictures and crafting. :)

    ReplyDelete